As a service to the Asian American Pacific Islander community, the San Francisco Bay Area chapter of the Asian American Journalists Association and Hyphen Magazine will host a media training workshop for Asian American and Pacific Islander community groups and nonprofit organizations.
Saturday, June 25, 2011
9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
San Franicsco location provided to confirmed registrants
See below on how to submit your interest in this workshop
Participants will talk with journalists about how to get their news in the news. We’ll talk about what makes an effective news release, how to pitch a story and how to get your message across in an interview.
The first half of the event will be a panel discussion with journalists sharing how to interact with the press. The second half will be a more interactive workshop talking about how to do an interview, how to pitch a story, etc. We hope you can join us!
Here are some topics we’ll cover:
- How do local, national and online reporters and editors choose stories to cover?
- How do I make my pitch standout?
- What’s the difference between pitching TV, radio, print and new media?
- How do I develop a relationship with a reporter?
- How do I tailor my pitch to a specific publication?
- How do I give interviews on the phone or at my event?
- How do deadlines work for reporters?
- Louise Chu, Newsroom Supervisor/Reporter, Associated Press, San Francisco
- Kevin Keeshan, News Director, KGO-TV, ABC7 San Francisco
- Joanna Lin, Investigative Reporter, Health, California Watch
- Julia McEvoy, Senior News Editor, KQED Radio
- Gerry Shih, Reporter, Government and Politics, The Bay Citizen
Groups are asked to submit their information online through an interest form by June 15:
Submission of this form does not guarantee admission and is being used to assess the widest possible number of groups interested in the workshop. We have space for only 40 organizations, with each group being able to send one representative.
Groups accepted in the workshop will be notified by June 18. We will notify all other groups that they will be placed on waitlist.
Contact Tomo Geron of AAJA with any questions at email@example.com.